Sunday 10 May 2009

Everything has a beginning

How do you begin a blog? I'm not even sure if I'll ever tell anyone about this blog, so it probably doesn't matter how I start. Hmm. It looks like I've started anyway, so maybe I did know how to begin after all.

I plan to just write what's on my mind, and eventually I might develop some sort of theme and structure. But for now, it'll be ramblings, but hopefully reasonably interesting ones. And if not, you can always just stop reading.

If you're still with me...it's a sunny Sunday and I'm going to Claire's grave in Highgate in about an hour with her friend, Sara. I'm not really sure if it will have a positive or negative effect on my state of mind, but it feels right to go there, so I am. 

Claire died on 12th February 2009, almost 3 months ago. We were only together for 5 months, though we fitted together so well, it felt like we'd known each other for years and years. Claire would have relished a Sunday like this. She told me she rediscovered the joy of Lazy Sundays after we met. As a result, Sundays now feel to me less like melancholic precursors to Mondays, and more like a twenty-four hour pool of possibilities. 

I'm going to take a poem I recently found and read it at her grave. It's called "Song" by Allen Ginsberg and here's an extract:

The weight of the world
             is love
Under the burden
            of solitude
Under the burden
             of dissatisfaction

        The weight
the weight we carry 
         is love...

...No rest
               without love
no sleep
             without dreams
of love - 
           be mad or chill
obsessed with angels
              or machines,
the final wish
              is love
- cannot be bitter,
           cannot deny,
cannot withhold 
             if denied:

the weight is too heavy

                     - must give
for no return
            as thought
is given
            in solitude
in all the excellence
              of its excess.





1 comment: